Monday, November 25, 2013

Hair, Skin, and Nail Routine

Happy Monday Dolls!

I thought I would do something a little different this week and give you a little peek at some of my current favorite hair, skin, and nail products. This post will focus on my skin care routine, and my Friday post will detail the products I use on my hair and nails.



Skin Care Routine

A little info about my skin... I am 26 and am smack dab in the middle of a skin crisis... I have always had large pores and sensitive skin that tends to break out or become irritated when exposed to products containing oil or fragrance; however, I recently began to witness the frightening effects of tanning as a teenager, and am all too aware of the tiny lines that have begun to show up around my eyes.  About six months ago, I was on the hunt for a new skin care regimen that would address my sensitivity/anti-aging/pore refining concerns. Though I love the pore tightening and clarifying results of prescription Retinol products, my sensitive skin hates the peeling, redness, and irritation that immediately occurs after application. In the past, my dermatologist would write me a prescription for some intensive moisturizing cream to counteract the effects of Retinol. Having crazy-oily skin, you can imagine the slip-n-slide my face turned into midday after using such cream. After searching online and scouring reviews on Sephora and Ulta's sites, I finally stumbled upon the Alpha Hydrox line. The line contains products that utilize exfoliating acids to rid skin of impurities and dead skin cells, retinol to tighten skin, and nourishing antioxidants to soothe skin. Alpha Hydrox is great quality (check out the reviews!!) at a fabulous price point, I believe that products in this line run between $8 and $20, and I usually stock up when Ulta does BOGO 50% off. I still love several Lancome products that I became addicted to while working for the line. I highly recommend the Genefique Youth Activating line, though, I will soon be testing L'Oreal's Youth Code and will share if I have found a dupe. I snapped up a Strivectin starter kit with my employee discount while working as a beauty adviser and have been really impressed with everything in the line, and am now obsessed with their eye cream. The quality is close to pharmaceutical grade yet much gentler on sensitive skin. I have found that this particular combination of products keeps my face consistently looking and feeling much smoother and more radiant.

Morning:

I have two Alpha Hydrox cleansers that I alternate between depending on how my bi-polar skin is on any particular day. I use their Foaming Clarifying Cleanser on days when I am especially slick. I like their Nourishing Cleanser on days where my skin is feeling extra sensitive (after using retinoid or glycolic products). I always apply whichever cleanser tickles my fancy for the day with my Clarisonic Mia (pricey but SO worth it, pinky swear!). After cleansing my skin, I apply my Genefique Eye-Light Pearl eye serum and then Strivectin SD Eye Concentrate cream. The serum is applied with a stainless steel massaging applicator that soothes and brightens puffy eyes and dark circles. The wrinkle cream tightens skin around the eyes. Always apply serums first, they sink in deeper than creams and are the best possible foundation for your skin care regimen. Remember to layer from thinnest consistency to thickest; serums go first, then moisturizer, then sunscreen. I follow my eye routine with Genefique Youth Activating Concentrate serum all over my face. If I am feeling a bit parched, I then apply Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel to only the areas where I may be dry. The last step before applying my face makeup is sunscreen, I like Lancome's Bienfait UV SPF 50+. It is a super light, non-greasy fluid formula that absorbs instantly.

Night:

Depending on how lazy I am feeling that day, I either use a makeup removing towelette (I usually grab Olay or Simple towelettes) or use Clean & Clear's Deep Cleaning Astringent. I have bounced around with different toners (Lancome, Clinique, Neutrogena, you name it I have probably tried it!) but keep coming back to this one. My skin just feels so much cleaner after using it. I have replaced my beloved and extremely pricey Lancome Bi-facil Eye Makeup Remover with Maybelline's Clean Express Eye Makeup Remover. I've got a couple of fun facts for you: Lancome and Maybelline are both owned by L'Oreal. Bi-facil's label describes it as a "double-action eye makeup remover," while Clean Express' label contains the phrase "dual-phase formula." Clean Express requires a few more swipes with a cotton pad, but does a very similar job as Lancome's version, for $20 less! After my makeup is off and my skin is clean, I then apply Genefique's Youth Activating Concentrate serum again. Next, I alternate between Alpha Hydrox's Retinol ResQ (if I'm feeling paranoid about wrinkles, haha) or their 10% Glycolic Acid Treatment (dissolves dirt/oil/dead skin in pores, clears breakouts). I use the glycolic treatment probably 5 nights each week, and then the retinol treatment once every few nights to avoid over-sensitivity and irritation. Last but not least, I moisturize with either Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel again or Genefique Repair Youth Activating Night Cream when I am not as oily.

Alpha Hydrox products can be found at:
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/a/Alpha-Hydrox/_/N-1z141fa?ciSelector=searchResults

Sign up your email address at Lancome.com for a 15% discount:
http://www.lancome-usa.com/Advanced-Genifique/1000302,default,pd.html?start=1&q=genefique&cgid=skincare-genefique&cm_vc=search

Sign up at Strivectin.com for free shipping:
http://www.strivectin.com/


What skin care items are your must-haves?

I wish you all safe travels and a very happy Thanksgiving!

xoxo,
Alicia

2 comments: