Monday, October 14, 2013

My Obsession: OCC Lip Tar

Hi Dolls!

Over the weekend I dolled up a gorgeous bride-to-be for her engagement photos. She was having her photos taken at a fair, so we decided to go with a really fun look to match her backdrop...natural glowy skin, glamorous big lashes, and Barbie pink lips, of course. There would be a lapse in time between when we did her makeup and when the photos were to be taken, so I decided to pull out my beloved Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar. I have used these for almost every wedding that I have worked on.  I got a lot of messages after posting a pic of my beautiful client, and 99% of those messages were regarding to the lip product she was wearing. I had been wanting to do a post about Lip Tar for a while, but after getting such a response to Kristen's photo, I knew I had to do it!

 I purchased the OCC Lip Tar Volume 1 set from Sephora about six months ago and immediately fell in love! They are super pigmented, long lasting, and made to be mixed to customize your own shades. The set I purchased included five lip tars ranging in shades from a coraly-nude to oxblood. My favorite colors have to be "Pretty Boy" (an intense hot pink) and "Stalker" (a true red). These are the only two colors I wear straight from the tube, the other colors I mix to create custom shades. Sephora is not currently selling the exact set that I purchased back in April. They have a set called "Volume 1" that contains all of the original shades, but instead of "Pretty Boy," it includes "Ophelia" (a classic light pink). Sephora also has a Lip Tar Mini All-Star set which I am dyinggggg for. The minis are 0.08 oz instead of 0.33 and includes four of the best selling shades (instead of five full size). I would recommend these to any of you dolls who are curious about Lip Tars, you get a few colors to experiment with and you get an opportunity to decide if you like the formula (you will, pinky swear!) and only shell out $20... instead of $49! When you buy them individually or as a set, a lip brush is included... which is absolutely necessary for a precise and clean application... if you apply this with your finger you will be walking around with a hot pink (or coral, red, whatever) fingertip for a while. I find that if you create a color you are just infatuated with, the best way to store your new fave lippy is to mix it up in a flat plastic jar with a screw on lid (check out Ulta or Target's travel section) and then you have a portable lip stain that travels well and doesn't become a sticky, staining mess in your makeup bag.
Below is the mini set available at Sephora.

I will warn you that you need to carefully line your lips before applying and only apply the tiniest amount. The formula is made to last and if you get it outside of the lines, you can quickly look the Joker... all day! Also, I would recommend exfoliating your lips and applying a very moisturizing balm before applying Lip Tar. The formula will adhere to dry or flaky lips (the way self-tanner does to dry knees and elbows!) and that is not cute on anyone. If you goof up and get it outside of the mouth, which I do about 30% of the time, you can clean up small mistakes with a full-coverage concealer... if it's a big mistake you will need to use makeup remover to get it off and probably end up reapplying your face makeup. I know... major womp, womp. So remember: small amount of product on moisturized and lined lips and you will have fabulous lip color that lasts all day!

Later this week, I will be swatching all of my Lip Tar shades and showing you my favorite custom color combos.

xoxo,

Alicia

2 comments: